- 2 cups pre-cooked white cornmeal (also known as Harina P.A.N.)
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Filling of your choice (e.g. shredded chicken, black beans, cheese, avocado, etc.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pre-cooked cornmeal, salt, vegetable oil, and warm water. Mix well until the dough is smooth and without lumps.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions and form each portion into a ball.
- Flatten each ball with your hands to form a patty that is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place the arepas onto the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Once the arepas are cooked, remove them from the pan and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Use a knife to carefully slice open each arepa horizontally, creating a pocket for the filling.
- Fill the arepas with your choice of filling (shredded chicken, black beans, cheese, avocado, etc.) and enjoy!
Arepas are a versatile and delicious dish that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They can be filled with any number of ingredients and are often served with avocado and hot sauce.