Vanuatu is an island nation in the South Pacific with a cuisine influenced by its tropical surroundings. One popular dish is “Lap Lap,” a delicious root vegetable pudding. Here’s a concise recipe for Vanuatu Lap Lap:
- 2 pounds taro, yam, or sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- Banana leaves or aluminum foil for wrapping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the grated root vegetables, grated coconut, chopped onion, chopped tomato, and coconut cream. Mix well to combine.
- Season the mixture with salt to taste.
- Lay out a piece of banana leaf or aluminum foil on a flat surface.
- Spoon a portion of the mixture onto the center of the leaf or foil, then fold and wrap it tightly into a neat package. Repeat this process with the remaining mixture.
- Place the wrapped Lap Lap parcels on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender and the Lap Lap is cooked through.
- Remove the Lap Lap from the oven and carefully unwrap the parcels.
- Serve the Lap Lap warm, either as a main dish or as a side dish with grilled fish or meat.
Enjoy the flavorful and comforting Vanuatu Lap Lap!