- 2 lbs potatoes (preferably waxy potatoes such as Yukon Gold)
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water. Grate the potatoes using a box grater or a food processor with a grating attachment.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the grated onion to the bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the potato mixture to the skillet and use a spatula to press down the mixture into a compact pancake.
- Cook the rösti for about 10-15 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown and crispy.
- Place a large plate over the skillet and carefully flip the rösti onto the plate.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet and slide the rösti back into the skillet with the uncooked side facing down.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the rösti from the skillet and transfer it to a cutting board. Cut it into wedges and serve hot as a side dish.
Enjoy your delicious Swiss potato pancake!