- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Lepinja bread or pita bread, for serving
- Chopped onions, for garnish
- Ajvar (roasted red pepper and eggplant spread), for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, paprika, salt, black pepper, and baking soda. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Take a small portion of the meat mixture and shape it into a cylindrical sausage-like shape, about 3-4 inches long. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture.
- Place the Ćevapi on the hot grill or grill pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are well-browned and cooked through.
- While the Ćevapi are cooking, warm the lepinja bread or pita bread on the grill for a few seconds on each side.
- Once the Ćevapi are cooked, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the Ćevapi hot, wrapped in the lepinja bread or pita bread. Garnish with chopped onions and serve with ajvar on the side.
Ćevapi are a popular street food in Serbia and are enjoyed as a main course or as part of a platter with other traditional Serbian dishes. Enjoy this delicious Serbian recipe!