- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Sour cream for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cabbage and blanch for 5 minutes. Remove the cabbage and let it cool.
- Carefully peel the cabbage leaves off the head and set them aside. Reserve any damaged leaves for later.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, uncooked rice, chopped onion, tomato paste, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat and rice mixture onto each cabbage leaf and roll it up, tucking in the sides.
- Place the cabbage rolls in a large pot, seam side down, and layer any damaged leaves on top of the rolls.
- Pour in the broth to cover the cabbage rolls.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, until the cabbage is tender and the filling is cooked through.
- Serve the sarmale hot, with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Enjoy this hearty and delicious traditional Romanian dish!