- 1 lb. salt cod (dried and salted cod)
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Black olives, for garnish (optional)
- Soak the salt cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water 2-3 times.
- Drain the cod and remove any skin and bones. Shred the cod into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic, and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the shredded cod to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the potato matchsticks to the skillet and sauté until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, season with salt and pepper, and pour over the potato and cod mixture. Stir gently until the eggs are cooked and scrambled.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and black olives (if using), and serve hot.
Enjoy your homemade Bacalhau à Brás! It’s a classic Portuguese dish that is sure to please.