One popular dish from Nepal is “Mo: Mo,” which are steamed dumplings filled with a savory mixture of ground meat and spices. They are often served with a spicy tomato-based sauce. Here’s a recipe for Nepali Mo:Mo:
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Water (as needed)
For the filling:
- 1 pound ground meat (chicken, beef, or lamb)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt. Gradually add water and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ground meat, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, grated ginger, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala (if using), salt, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it out into a thin circle about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Place a spoonful of the meat filling in the center of the dough circle.
- Fold the dough over the filling to form a half-moon shape. Pinch the edges together to seal the dumpling. You can also create pleats along the edges for a decorative touch.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling until all the dumplings are formed.
- Place a steamer basket over a pot filled with water. Bring the water to a boil.
- Arrange the dumplings in the steamer basket, making sure they are not touching each other. Steam the dumplings for about 15-20 minutes, or until the dough is cooked through and the filling is cooked.
- While the dumplings are steaming, prepare the dipping sauce. In a saucepan, combine the tomato puree, soy sauce, vinegar, red chili powder, and salt. Cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Once the dumplings are cooked, remove them from the steamer and arrange them on a serving platter. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top for garnish.
- Serve the Mo:Mo hot with the spicy tomato dipping sauce on the side.
Mo:Mo is a beloved dish in Nepal, enjoyed as a snack or a main course. Enjoy these delicious steamed dumplings!