- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant.
- Add the diced sweet potato to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in the ground coriander, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the smooth peanut butter until it is fully incorporated into the stew.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to the pot and let them cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the stew hot, garnished with fresh cilantro.
This rich and flavorful peanut stew is a popular dish in Malawi, and is usually served with rice or flatbread. Enjoy!