One popular dish from Kosovo is “Flija,” a layered pastry made with a savory crepe-like batter. However, making Flija can be a complex and time-consuming process. Instead, I will provide a recipe for “Qebapa,” which are delicious grilled meat sausages commonly enjoyed in Kosovo:
- 500 grams of ground beef (or a mixture of beef and lamb)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (for greasing the grill)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, and baking soda. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Take small portions of the meat mixture and shape them into small sausage-like cylinders, about 7-10 cm long and 2 cm thick.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Lightly grease the grill with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the qebapa on the grill and cook for about 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove the qebapa from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the qebapa hot with traditional sides like bread, ajvar (a roasted red pepper spread), kaymak (a creamy dairy product), onions, and a fresh salad.
Enjoy your flavorful Qebapa from Kosovo!