Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory located on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula, and its cuisine is influenced by a blend of Mediterranean and British flavors. Here’s a recipe for a traditional dish from Gibraltar called “Calentita,” a savory chickpea flour pancake:
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and turmeric. Mix well to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Gradually add the water to the chickpea flour mixture, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Let the batter rest for about 30 minutes to allow the chickpea flour to hydrate.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large ovenproof skillet or baking dish, pour in the olive oil, ensuring the bottom of the skillet is evenly coated.
- Place the skillet or baking dish in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes to heat up the oil.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, and pour the batter into the hot oil.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the Calentita is firm and golden brown on top.
- Once cooked, remove the Calentita from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before cutting it into slices or squares.
- Serve the Calentita as a side dish or a main course, accompanied by a salad or salsa.
Calentita is often enjoyed as street food in Gibraltar or as part of a tapas-style meal. It can be served hot or at room temperature. Enjoy this delicious taste of Gibraltar!