- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Water, as needed
- Optional toppings: fried onions, chopped parsley, vinegar hot sauce
- Rinse the rice, lentils, and macaroni separately under cold water.
- In a large pot, bring plenty of water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook for about 15 minutes until they are tender but still hold their shape. Drain and set aside.
- In another pot, cook the rice according to package instructions until it is tender. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, cook the macaroni according to package instructions until it is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they are caramelized and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove half of the onions from the skillet and set aside for garnish.
- To the remaining onions in the skillet, add the minced garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, and ground cinnamon. Cook for a minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to the skillet, stirring well to combine with the spices. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes, adding water as needed to achieve a thick, saucy consistency.
- In a serving dish, layer the cooked rice, lentils, and macaroni. Pour the tomato sauce over the top, spreading it evenly. Garnish with the reserved caramelized onions.
- Serve the Koshari hot, and you can add optional toppings like fried onions, chopped parsley, and a drizzle of vinegar hot sauce according to your preference.
Koshari is a hearty and delicious dish that is typically enjoyed as a main course in Egypt. Enjoy!
CINNAMON, CRUSHED TOMATOES, CUMIN, EGYPT, FRIED ONIONS, GARLIC, KOSHARI, LENTILS, MACARONI, ONION, ONIONS, RICE, THINLY SLICED, TOMATO PASTE, TOMATOES