One popular dish from Djibouti is “Skoudehkaris,” a flavorful Djiboutian lamb and rice dish. Here’s a concise version of the recipe:
- 500g lamb meat, cubed
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water or lamb broth
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear, then set it aside to drain.
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the cubed lamb meat to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
- Stir in turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, and cinnamon. Mix well to coat the meat.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pot and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Pour enough water or lamb broth into the pot to cover the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 1 hour, or until the lamb is tender and the flavors have developed.
- Meanwhile, cook the basmati rice according to package instructions.
- Once the lamb is cooked, remove it from the pot and set it aside.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and add it to the pot with the remaining sauce.
- Mix the rice and sauce together gently to combine.
- Return the cooked lamb to the pot and stir it into the rice.
- Cover the pot again and let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve Skoudehkaris hot as a main dish.
Enjoy the rich flavors of Djibouti with Skoudehkaris!