- 4 slices of rugbrød (rye bread) or any dense whole grain bread
- Butter, for spreading
- 4-8 ounces of sliced meat or fish (options: roast beef, smoked salmon, pickled herring, liver pâté)
- Assorted toppings and garnishes (options: sliced cucumber, tomato, lettuce, radishes, red onion, hard-boiled eggs, dill, parsley, remoulade sauce)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by spreading a thin layer of butter on each slice of bread. This helps to keep the bread from becoming too soggy when you add the toppings.
- Choose your desired meat or fish and arrange it on top of the buttered bread slices. You can use a single type of topping or mix and match according to your preference.
- Add your chosen toppings and garnishes. Get creative and layer the flavors and textures. For example, you can place sliced cucumber on top of the meat, followed by lettuce, tomato, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Finish by adding any additional sauces or spreads, such as remoulade sauce, mustard, or mayonnaise.
- Serve the smørrebrød open-faced on a platter or individual plates, allowing everyone to customize their own sandwiches.
- Smørrebrød is typically enjoyed with a knife and fork, but you can also pick them up and eat them by hand if you prefer.
Smørrebrød is a versatile and delicious Danish dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch, brunch, or even as an appetizer. Feel free to experiment with different combinations of toppings and get a taste of Danish cuisine.