Cameroon, located in Central Africa, has a rich and diverse culinary tradition. One popular dish from Cameroon is Ndolé, a delicious and flavorful stew made with bitter leaf greens, nuts, and meat. Here’s a recipe for Ndolé:
- 500 grams of beef, chicken, or fish, cut into cubes
- 2 cups of bitter leaf greens (substitute with spinach if bitter leaf is not available)
- 1 cup of crushed peanuts or peanut butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of palm oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground crayfish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of dried shrimp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of ground Cameroon pepper or cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using bitter leaf greens, wash them thoroughly to remove any bitterness. If using spinach, skip this step.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pot and cook until they soften and release their juices.
- Add the meat cubes to the pot and cook until they are browned on all sides.
- If using dried shrimp and ground crayfish, add them to the pot and stir well.
- Pour in enough water to cover the meat, and season with salt, pepper, and Cameroon pepper or cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let the meat cook until it becomes tender. This can take about 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on the type of meat.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the bitter leaf greens or spinach to the pot. Stir well and let them cook for about 5 minutes until they wilt.
- Add the crushed peanuts or peanut butter to the pot and stir well to incorporate it into the stew. Allow it to simmer for an additional 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and Cameroon pepper or cayenne pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve Ndolé hot with a side of cooked rice, plantains, or fufu.
Ndolé is a popular and hearty dish in Cameroon, often enjoyed as a main meal. It combines various flavors and textures to create a unique and satisfying culinary experience.