- 1 lb (450g) black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 lb (450g) pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 1 lb (450g) beef brisket, cut into chunks
- 1 lb (450g) sausages, such as chorizo or linguica, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rice, farofa and orange slices, for serving
- Drain the soaked beans and place them in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the beans are tender.
- In a separate pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and beef and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced sausages, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked black beans and enough water to cover everything. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 hours, or until the meats are tender and the stew is thick and saucy.
- Serve the Feijoada hot with cooked rice, farofa (a toasted cassava flour mixture) and orange slices on the side.
Feijoada is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a cozy dinner or special occasion. Enjoy!