One popular dish from Bosnia and Herzegovina is “Bosanski Lonac” (Bosnian Pot). It’s a hearty meat and vegetable stew. Here’s a concise version of the recipe:
- 500g beef, cut into cubes
- 500g lamb, cut into cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water or beef broth
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, sauté until they become translucent.
- Add beef and lamb cubes, and cook until browned on all sides.
- Stir in paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add carrots, potatoes, bell peppers, and tomatoes to the pot. Mix well.
- Place bay leaves on top.
- Pour enough water or beef broth to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and the flavors have melded.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Serve Bosanski Lonac hot with crusty bread or polenta.
Enjoy this hearty Bosnian dish, Bosanski Lonac!