- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 lb (450g) lamb, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken or lamb broth
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in warm salted water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the lamb and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the lamb and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot and sauté until they are soft and golden. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the shredded carrots and spices to the pot and sauté for a few minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Add the lamb back to the pot and stir to combine with the onion and carrot mixture.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to combine with the lamb and vegetables. Pour the broth over the rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let the Plov rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve garnished with fresh herbs, if desired.
Plov is a delicious and satisfying dish that can be served as a main course or as a side dish. Enjoy!