- 2 cups cornmeal
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup grated Gouda cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornmeal with the salt.
- Slowly pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling water, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pot, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the butter or margarine and stir until it’s fully melted and incorporated into the mixture.
- If desired, stir in the grated Gouda cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a greased dish or mold and allow it to cool and set for about 30 minutes.
- Once the Funchi has set, slice it into wedges or squares and serve it as a side dish with your favorite Aruban main course.
Enjoy your delicious Aruban meal!