- 2 large eggplants, peeled and diced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced eggplants and stir to coat with the oil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the eggplants are soft and tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, paprika, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is thick and saucy.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve the Zaalouk garnished with chopped fresh parsley and drizzle with extra olive oil, if desired.
Zaalouk can be served as a side dish or as a dip with bread or crackers. Enjoy!